The Erotic Films of Peter de Rome DVD
You save £3 (15%)
|Add to Wishlist|
Should be despatched in 5-7 days. Despatched from the UK. Delivery timesUsually 2-3 days to reach UK addresses. Europe takes around 2 days longer and International destinations take 1-2 weeks
FREE to UK addresses.
Costs to other countriesUK: Free
Western Europe: £2.00
Rest of the world: £3.00
If you are unhappy with your purchase, you can return it to us within 14 days. More details
Directed by Peter de Rome
Produced in 1973
Main Language - English
Countries & Regions - American film
In the late 1960s and early 1970s British-born New Yorker and unsung hero of gay underground filmmaking Peter de Rome produced a number of explicit, painstakingly crafted Super 8 films each of which took the viewer on an immersive sexual journey. In 1973, eight of these films were brought together as The Erotic Films of Peter de Rome - one of the finest cinematic examples of the intersection of artistry and eroticism, in the tradition of Andy Warhol and Kenneth Anger. Now released on DVD for the first time, these extraordinary films are accompanied by a new BFI documentary, additional short films and a comprehensive booklet with new essays and film credits.
Peter de Rome started shooting 8mm films in 1965 for his own amusement, putting on screenings primarily for friends. When pioneering producer Jack Deveau saw one of them, he persuaded de Rome to collect eight together, blow them up to 16mm, and release them commercially as The Erotic Films of Peter de Rome.
The films in the collection – Double Exposure (1969), Hot Pants (1971), The Second Coming (1970), Daydreams from a Crosstown Bus (1972), Mumbo Jumbo (1972), Green Thoughts (1970/71), Underground (1972), and Prometheus (1972) – take the viewer on a kaleidoscopic sexual expedition designed to do more than titillate. By turns humorous and sardonic, romantic and sadistic, the films push the boundaries as de Rome creates surreal and imaginative scenarios in a range of exotic and everyday locations.
Length: 95 mins
Aspect ratio: 4:3
Format: DVD Colour
Released: 26th March 2012
Cat No: BFIVD876
- Fully uncut and uncensored presentations of all films
- Fragments: The Incomplete Films of Peter de Rome (Ethan Reid, 2012, 43 minutes): revealing new documentary in which Peter de Rome discusses his many incomplete and unfinished films
- Scopo (de Rome, 1966, 6 minutes): when a young man arrives at an empty apartment, he is unaware that a stranger is watching him
- The Fire Island Kids (Peter de Rome, 1970, 12 minutes): two men spend a lazy day in each other’s company after one rescues the other from drowning
- Moulage (de Rome, 1971, 13 minutes): humour and art collide in this study of erotic body casting
- Brown Study (de Rome, 1979, 9 minutes): an ethnographic study with a difference
- Abracadaver! (Nathan Schiff, 2008, 10 minutes): a gruesome tale of magic and mutilation from producer David McGillivary, starring Peter de Rome
- New scores for The Fire Island Kids and Brown Study by Stephen Thrower (Cyclobe), and Scopo by Steve Moore (Zombi)
- 44-page illustrated booklet with new essays, film credits and diary extracts.