Her Private Hell DVD+Blu-ray
You save £8 (40%)
|Add to Wishlist|
On order, dispatched within 5-10 days. Delivery timesUsually 5-7 days to reach UK addresses... Europe takes around 2 days longer and International destinations take 1-2 weeks
FREE to UK addresses.
Costs to other countriesUK: Free
Western Europe: £1.38
Rest of the world: £2.06
If you are unhappy with your purchase, you can return it to us within 14 days. More details
Directed by Norman J Warren
Produced in 1968
Main Language - English
Countries & Regions - British Film
Lucia Modugno, Terence Skelton
A cautionary tale of an innocent girl abroad caught up in London’s sleazy world of modelling, Her Private Hell was Britain's first narrative sex film.
Starring the Italian actress Lucia Modugno (Il generale Della Rovere, Danger: Diabolik), and directed by Norman J Warren, Her Private Hell put Britain on the map in the realm of home-grown adult features. The storyline features beautiful but naïve Marisa who arrives from the continent for a job as a fashion model, but soon discovers she’s being groomed for a different purpose.
By the late 1960s, British producers had begun to realise the commercial potential of sex and to test the limits of what the censors would permit on screen. Producer Bachoo Sen, a distributor who imported arthouse titles to the UK, set up Piccadilly Pictures with cinema-owner Richard Schulman and financed Her Private Hell. It premiered at London’s Cameo-Royal cinema on 4 January 1968 and was so popular that it ran for over a year.
The film was the debut feature for young director Norman J Warren (Satan's Slave, Prey and Terror). Looking back at it now, 45 years on, he says: ‘Why it got so much publicity and why it was so successful was that the sex situation in this country was so naïve and innocent and you were so restricted.’
Her Private Hell features a screenplay by Glynn Christian, best known as BBC Breakfast Time’s resident chef in the 1980s, and a distinctive jazz soundtrack by renowned musician and composer John Scott.
Length: 84 mins
Format: DVD+Blu-ray B&W
Released: 20th February 2012
Cat No: BFIB1124
- 2 discs
- Presented in both High Definition and Standard Definition
- Original Her Private Hell trailer
- Alternative, uncensored US sequences (3 mins)
- Screen tests (4 mins)
- Making Her Private Hell (15 mins): new documentary with cast and crew interviews
- Incident (Norman J Warren, 1959, 14 mins): newly-created HD version of Warren's enigmatic first film
- Fragment (Norman J Warren, 1966, 11 mins): exquisite short about a woman's unhappiness after a failed love affair
- The Anatomy of a Pin-up (David Cohen, 1971, 30 mins): modish documentary about the modelling industry
- Fully illustrated booklet with new essays by Norman J. Warren, David Cohen, Lynn Barber and Josephine Botting.